Owning a home is a constant responsibility. Upkeep includes aesthetics, but it’s essential not to overlook smaller, less-noticeable aspects of home maintenance as well. For first-time homebuyers, home maintenance might feel somewhat overwhelming. Where do you start? Look no further.
Each month, you can do some easy and inexpensive tasks to prevent extensive maintenance and costly repairs down the road.
- Check carbon monoxide detectors
- Test smoke detectors
- Wash the hood of your stovetop range
- Clean furnace filters and replace them every three months
- Unclog or clean the drains in your sinks
- Inspect toilets and sinks for any leaks
Imperative to maintaining a quality, well-kept home, the changing seasons are a natural reminder to stay on task with these chores.
- Spring and Summer
- Clear dead foliage, weeds, and debris from the yard
- Prune trees
- Clean gutters by removing debris
- Sweep patios or decks and look for signs of cracked wood or loose nails
- Examine exterior siding
- Power wash your driveway, sidewalk, patio, or deck
- Dust the garage floor and walls with a broom or leaf blower
- Ensure your sump pump is draining properly
- Fall and Winter
- Winterize your air conditioners
- Check and clean your fireplace and chimney
- Unhook your outdoor hose to prevent damage from freezing
- Remove/store window screens and install storm windows
- Check radiators and surrounding pipes for leaks or cracks
Each year, doing these tasks will help keep your home in tip-top shape. If you follow this checklist sooner than later, it will save you from accruing considerable expenses in the future.
- Ensure the dryer vent is correctly discharging outside and remove lint buildup
- Drain the water heater tank
- If you have a septic tank, ensure it’s clean
- Look for termites or bugs congregating near or within your home
- Clean your bathroom exhaust fan to remove dust
- Inspect your roof
Several home elements will sustain wear-and-tear throughout the years, eventually requiring repair or replacement. The list might include:
- Replacing garage door openers
- Resealing grout in the kitchen or bathrooms
- Replacing caulk around windows or doors
- Cleaning heating ducts
- Replacing old appliances
It’s imperative to pay attention to these small yet critical factors and address them as they arise to avoid dealing with a substantial bill later down the line. Owning a home isn’t always smooth sailing, but the joys and long-term rewards make it worthwhile. Between growing equity or taking pride in your home, a well-executed maintenance schedule can help you decrease costs for years to come.
We can help you refinance or purchase a new home – contact us today to learn more.
EB Mortgage is a locally-owned mortgage company with experts in new home purchase, refinancing, and commercial loans. Our wholesale rates can’t be beaten. We offer more products, more options, and more solutions. Our “3C” Process is simple: complete our pre-approval request, consider options based on your requirements, and choose the offer that suits your needs best. Call us at 866-246-0516 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org today.
Written by the digital marketing staff at Creative Programs & Systems: www.cpsmi.com.