We all know how to extend gas in our motor engine vehicles, but many people aren’t yet familiar with Electric Vehicles (EV.) Despite their gain in popularity, most EV owners don’t know much about extending battery life. Read on for some tips on how to extend your EV battery range.
- Capacity: Batteries are not cheap, but the bigger you can afford, the better. If the battery can hold more power, it can stretch a charge over a lengthy period. Especially while on long road trips or commuting to work, the last thing you want to do is stop and charge your EV. Interrupting your day for a recharge might be more inconvenient than paying for a bigger battery capacity to begin with.
- HVAC: When gas engines run, the combustion process naturally produces heat, helping to keep you warm while driving. However, in EVs, this phenomenon does not exist. Instead, the battery is used to kick start the resistance heater or heat pump. Tesla EV battery life drops by almost two-thirds and consumes roughly 35 percent more energy when the heat is on.
- Acceleration: Just as with gasoline cars, putting the pedal to the metal can noticeably burn through battery life. While driving, try to maintain a decent, consisitant pace to conserve energy.
- Tires: When combustion vehicle owners get their oil changed, the tires are generally checked or rotated. With EVs, the absence of an engine means no visits to mechanic shops. Set a reminder to check your tires every couple of months to ensure the battery will run more efficiently.
- Trunk: Extra weight in an EV will force the battery to work harder. If you put something heavy in your vehicle, make sure you remove it as soon as possible. Store extra items in your garage if you want your battery range to go the distance.
- Garage: Battery-powered items should not be left in the cold. This goes for all batteries, including lawnmowers, power tools, etc. EVs abide by the same rules. Cold temperatures can decrease the range of an EV. Keeping the battery plugged in (if outside) helps, but the best solution is to store your EV in the garage.
Are you considering buying an EV and need a charger installed? Contact the experts at State Electric Company today to learn how we can help.
State Electric Company is a leader in the electrification of the nation. Our highly educated and experienced team of professionals uses industry-leading software technology and has partnered with manufacturers to deliver affordable solutions for all your electrical needs. State Electric Co. is also an exclusive distributor for Enel X JuiceBox EV chargers for residential and commercial use. We are fully licensed, insured, and bonded to install charging stations for homes, offices, hotels, and more. With our extensive knowledge in renewable energy, our team provides customers – large or small – with efficient electrical solutions. Contact us today to learn how we can safely and affordably meet your energy needs.