Michigan Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans cover coinsurance, deductibles, and other out-of-pocket expenses that Medicare doesn’t pay for.  Benefits for skilled nursing care, emergency foreign travel, and blood work are a few of the plan features.  Supplements are standardized.  They offer a comprehensive overview of all supplemental plans and benefits offered in the state of Michigan.

Michigan Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans

In order to have a supplement plan you must have Medicare Parts A and B, Original Medicare, and be 65 years old.  These plans do not include prescription drug coverage.  In order to have prescription drug coverage you will need to enroll in Medicare Part D which provides prescription drug coverage since supplemental insurance plans do not.  Also, it is important to note that supplemental plans are not available when participants are enrolled in Medicare Advantage Plans.  You will want to be sure that you compare all of the different Medicare Plans to ensure you’ve taken advantage of all that is available to you.

It is common for a Medicare beneficiary to have 3 different plans in order to maximize their coverage:

  • Original Medicare Part A and Part B
  • Prescription Drug Coverage, Plan D
  • Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans

The total number of Medicare beneficiaries in 2015 was just under 2 million in the state of Michigan that is 19% of the state’s total population.  In 2016, an average of 19% was disabled and the other 81% had reached the age of 65.  The total amount of Medicare beneficiaries that were disabled with ESRD was just under 7,700 and the total amount of beneficiaries that were not disabled, but reached age 65, was just under 7,900.

 Can you get denied coverage?

You can be denied coverage for Michigan Medigap plans if you are fewer than 65 and don’t have a qualifying illness or disability.  You can also be denied coverage if you have a pre-existing condition and are enrolling outside your Open Enrollment period.  This period lasts for the six months and starts the first day of the month you are enrolled in Medicare Part B and are 65 or over.  You cannot be denied coverage for any reason if you are enrolling during this six month time frame, if you don’t enroll during this period you can be denied coverage, your benefits may be delayed, or you could be charged a higher rate because you must meet the underwriting requirements.

Plans Available for Medicare Recipients Under 65 Years Old

Not all states offer supplemental insurance to those under 65.  There are some available Michigan Medicare Supplement health insurance options if you are under 65.  They offer Medicare Part A and Medicare Plan C but keep in mind that the rates will not be the same compared to the rates for recipients over 65.

Can the insurance company cancel my policy if my health changes?

The insurance company cannot cancel your policy if your health changes as long as you continue to pay your premium and enrolled during your Open Enrollment Period.

What carriers offer plans in Michigan?

There are dozens of carriers that offer supplemental plans in Michigan.  Since all plans are standardized each carrier must offer the same benefits for each letter plan.  This means that regardless of the carrier, the letter plan you choose will have the same benefits.  The only difference is the cost of each letter plan; each carrier can charge their own amount.  That is why it is important to consult with a senior Medicare agent to compare rates with all the top carriers.

Michigan Medicare Supplement Subsidy

Beginning in January of 2017, the Michigan Health Endowment Fund administered the Michigan Medicare Supplement Subsidy program.  The program will directly pay your insurance provider and is based off your total household annual income.

Learn more about Michigan Medicare Supplemental Insurance rates, plans, and more at http://www.emedicare-supplemental-insurance.com/michigan-medicare-supplement-plans.  Our Michigan Medicare Supplemental Insurance brokers will help you compare Medicare Supplemental Insurance rates and plans in Michigan.  To talk to an expert in Michigan Medicare coverage toll free 877-202-9248 today!




Leave a Reply