Spring is almost here, just days away! That means we are just days away from being able to start cleaning out our flower beads, scooping gutter gunk, and other rituals of spring cleaning. The snow is starting to melt, and homeowners begin to consider how to prepare their homes for a summer of relaxation. The more we accomplish in the spring, the less we must consider during the summer.
It is a known secret, winter weather is our homes enemy, especially our roof. Our roofs take a beating in every season, but it is especially rough in the winter, with the snow, melt, freeze, ice, melt repeat process. Homeowners should reach out to professional roofing contractors at least once a year for a spring cleaning and inspections. Regular roofing maintenance helps to increase the longevity of your roofing materials and will improve the aesthetics of your home. Below are some tips the professional roofers at Kearns Brothers recommend to all our clients.
- Trimming Tree Branches: Any tree close to your home should have its branches trimmed on a regular basis. Tree limbs should not be allowed to touch your roof as they will scrape the shingles and loosen the granules that are in place to protect it. A decrease in asphalt granules on shingling which will decrease the longevity of your roof.
- Pine Needles and Leaves: A few pine needles and leaves on your roof are fine however, a collection of leaves and needles will cause damage as they hold on to excess moisture. They need to be removed to prevent mold, mildew, and general issues. A build up of pine needles and leaves can also block gutters. To clear your homes roof it is important to be careful not to damage the roofing material. A light air blower will gently remove the debris without damaging the asphalt shingling.
- Moss is one of the worst elements for asphalt shingles. By cutting back tree limbs and removing leaves homeowners can reduce moss. It is important that sunlight can hit the surface of the roof in order to dry up the moisture that the moss thrives on. There are chemicals that can get rid of roofing moss however the run off can cause damage to the landscaping plants surrounding the home. Zinc or copper trips lining the ridge of the home can also help create an environment where moss is unable to grow.
- If gutters are damaged during the winter, it is crucial that homeowners fix them before spring rains begin. It is crucial that water can flow through the gutters and away from the home’s foundation. Loose gutters must be secured in order to function properly.
- A complete inspection of your shingles, chimney’s, and flashing should all be inspected and maintained yearly by a professional roofing contractor. While a contractor is performing a roof inspection, they will look for missing shingles, damage to your chimney, flashing, and vent issues. Correcting these issues in a timely manner ensures your roof is good to go for many Michigan seasons.
As a full-service home improvement contractor servicing all Southeast Michigan, Kearns Brothers, Inc. offers clients a wide range of services to meet their construction needs including: roofing, siding, window, masonry, chimneys, gutters, and insulation services. More information can be found at www.kearnsbrothers.com.