If you’re under 65 and disabled, you automatically get Medicare Part A and Part B. (known as Original Medicare) and after you received disability benefits from social security or certain disability benefits from the railroad retirement board for 24 months.
You should get a Medicare card in the mail during the 25th month you are receiving disability benefits. Even if you return to work, you can continue to get Part A benefits premium-free for up to 8.5 years.
If you have Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), you automatically get part A and B in the month that your disability benefits begin.
What does Medicare Supplemental Insurance in Michigan cover?
As with seniors, Medicare requires those under 65 to meet deductibles before their Michigan Medicare Supplemental coverage actually begins. Even after part A and part B deductible has been met, co-insurance may require both Medicare and the patients to pay a portion of a medical bill. Likewise, co-payments or out of pocket cost are still due on some services that are partially covered by Medicare.
Medicare Part A coverage has a deductible of $1,132. Your coverage doesn’t start until you have met this deductible for a period of time known as a benefit period. That begins on the day you enter the hospital or a skilled nursing facility and continues until you have not received hospital or nursing care for 60 consecutive days.
If you need hospital or nursing care after on benefit period has ended, you’ll have to meet the deductible again. There is no limit on the number of times you may be required to meet this deductible again.
Medicare Part B Coverage
Medicare Part B coverage helps with doctor care, home health care, lab test, outpatient care and other services from non-hospital providers. It has an annual $162 deductible, after which pays 80 percent of a pre-approved rate for services from health care providers other than hospitals. You are responsible for the remaining 20 percent. If your doctor charges more than Medicare’s rate, you’re responsible for the excess.
Michigan Supplemental Insurance plans can be a tough topic to research. With this blog and our knowledgeable agents, we can help assist you. We have been helping seniors with supplemental plans for over 12 years. Call our agents today to get a recommended plan that fits your budget and lifestyle. At eMedicare Supplemental Insurance we are dedicated to saving you time and money. Call us today at 877-202-9248.