Not every facility needs to purchase a new linear accelerator. There are many times where a slightly used LINAC will serve the purpose of the facility at a fraction of the cost of a new one. Some facilities however, benefit from the purchase of new equipment. It really just depends on a number of variables to determine if a used, new, or refurbished linear accelerator is the solution for your facility.
When a facility needs the newest technology on the market, it is obvious a used or refurbished LINAC will not benefit them. This is also the case if you are not looking to replace the machine anytime soon. A brand new or almost new linear accelerator is a better option for facilities that don’t want to replace their machine in the next ten to fifteen years and are looking for the latest and greatest technology.
The struggle between buying new, refurbished, and used radiation oncology equipment is a struggle many facilities face. It is probably important to note however, that the minute you use a new linear accelerator it becomes used. So not every used machine is “used” to the same extent. Used and refurbished linear accelerators can be suitable for facilities under certain circumstances including:
- When your facility is treating less than 8 to 10 patients a day, the revenue you are producing will not sustain the expense of a new machine.
- Areas where reimbursement is low, and your clinic needs to be profitable to continue providing treatment may be better suited to purchase a used or refurbished unit.
- The machine will be used in a limited capacity and doesn’t necessarily benefit from the latest technologies. These circumstances may include using the machine for research, treating animals, or non-medical, industrial purposes.
- Your facility will be able to afford the latest and greatest in the next couple of years but just can’t without first building a profitable practice.
- You are opening a new medical center and don’t have the resources to secure financing on a new machine.
- You are moving to a new location, can’t afford downtime, and need to be able to treat patients during the process and currently only have one machine.
- If your facility needs a back up to prevent downtime in patient care during maintenance and repairs on your main LINAC.
- A new facility is being built but you need a temporary way to treat patients.
- When the hardware aspect of treatment is not as important as the software. Used and refurbished equipment can have updated software installed when your budget doesn’t allow for both upgraded software and hardware.
Obviously, brand new, state of the art equipment when purchasing linear accelerators and CT scanners is something all facilities desire, it is not always the most practical situation. Purchasing used equipment doesn’t mean that your facility is operating with technology that is necessarily out of date. Often newer style equipment can be acquired with little use. It is important to remember just because it is used it doesn’t mean it is used up. Used simply means that at one time or another it has been in use for patient care. It could be the latest Varian model used for treatment in a facility briefly. Used equipment can often save facilities a great deal of money in machine costs and financing.
Radparts is the world’s largest independent distributor of OEM replacement parts for Linear Accelerators and Radiation Oncology equipment. Radparts provides high quality, user friendly, low cost parts support for linear accelerators and radiation equipment. More information can be found at https://www.radparts.com/.